(971) 205-3266
(971) 205-3266
(971) 205-3266
Free Consultation

An officer may be able to arrest you without a warrant in certain situations, but not every situation. It is crucial to know when you may be placed under arrest and if you are, how to handle it.

An officer may arrest you if he or she has probable cause to believe a felony either has been or is being committed by you. The officer also may also be able to arrest you if a misdemeanor is committed in his or her presence.

If an officer knows that a warrant for your arrest has been issued and is not expired, he or she has the right to arrest you. An officer may arrest you for disturbing the peace, including in situations of domestic violence.

Additionally, if you are driving a vehicle without a license, you may be subject to arrest.

If you are placed under arrest, an officer may use any reasonable force in order to place you under and keep you under arrest. It is imperative not to resist arrest, because it could escalate a situation and make your outcome worse. It is also important not to interfere with an officer arresting another person.

If you are stopped by police in Oregon, it is crucial to stay in control of your words and actions. Remember anything you say or do may be recorded and used against you. Keep your hands where officers can see them, do not run from or touch an officer. Even if you believe you are innocent, your words and actions may be used against you and make your situation worse. When brought into the station, you will be given an opportunity to contact family or friends to arrange your release.

It is important to say nothing to police. You have the right to an attorney to represent you, don’t forgo that right.

If you or a loved one has been arrested and needs a Portland criminal defense lawyer, look no further than Kroll Johnson, P.C. We are experts in criminal defense and are here to discuss your case. Call our office to help you today.

Fill out the form below and a member of our staff will be in touch with you regarding your case.