(971) 205-3266
(971) 205-3266
(971) 205-3266
Free Consultation

Can I Transfer my Concealed Carry Permit to Oregon?

Portland is a fast-growing city, so many people are moving from other states. These people often bring with them permits for concealed carry from another state and assume there is reciprocity in Oregon. This is not the case. If you have just moved to Oregon, even if you have a permit in another state, you will need to apply for a new license in Oregon. Otherwise, you could face serious gun charges in this state.

To get this permit, you will need to contact the sheriff’s department of the county in which you reside. The sheriff will then conduct a background check which can take up to 45 days. The sheriff will ensure that you have no outstanding warrants, are not currently awaiting trial, or have any other conditions which would make owning a weapon illegal.

A person will also need to take an approved gun safety course in Oregon or the equivalent in another state. If you have military training or participate in a shooting club, that may be sufficient to meet this requirement. The sheriff’s department can give you more info if you feel that you have the equivalent experience.

It is important to note that because Oregon is an open carry state, a person generally does not need a permit to carry a concealed weapon. But they do need this permit, however, if they carry a concealed weapon in a car that is “readily accessible.” In other words, the gun needs to locked away in your trunk. Otherwise you may face a Class B Misdemeanor.

If you have been arrested on weapons charges, a criminal defense attorney at Kroll & Johnson can help. We have helped many clients facing gun charges and will aggressively fight for your freedom. For a free consultation regarding your arrest in Portland or anywhere in Oregon, contact us right away for a free consultation.

Fill out the form below and a member of our staff will be in touch with you regarding your case.