(971) 205-3266
(971) 205-3266
(971) 205-3266
Free Consultation

Defending against Drug Charges with a Portland Criminal Defense Attorney

Some people get charged with a crime for possession or distribution of a controlled substance. They might think that this charge is relatively minor, so they go in and plead guilty, expect to pay a fine and be done with it. This is generally a bad idea, especially for someone in college or who plans on attending school. Many people don’t realize it, but even a simple possession charge can result in a student being ineligible for student loans. Therefore, even if a charge seems relatively minor, you should contact a Portland Criminal Defense Attorney for any drug-related charges.

It may sound strange, but drug charges are one of only a handful of convictions that make someone ineligible for student loans. In fact, the only other conviction that can have an impact on your loans is a forcible or non-forcible sexual offense. A drug conviction does not necessarily guarantee that you will lose your student loans, but it certainly can. A Portland Criminal Defense Attorney can work to keep this conviction off your record and keep you eligible for financial aid.

This is especially true for marijuana offenses. While public attitudes are softening on marijuana, it is still illegal in Oregon and still illegal at the federal level. Some people may not think that a marijuana possession charge is that big of a deal until suddenly they cannot get the money they need to attend school. Do not risk it – contact a defense lawyer at Kroll & Johnson right away for a free consultation.

If you have been charged with a drug crime, a Portland Criminal Defense Attorney at Kroll & Johnson will aggressively fight for your freedom. We will challenge any and all evidence against and work to build reasonable doubt of your guilt. We will work tirelessly to achieve the best outcome possible for your particular charges. To learn more about how we can help, contact Kroll & Johnson today for a free consultation.

Fill out the form below and a member of our staff will be in touch with you regarding your case.