(971) 205-3266
(971) 205-3266
(971) 205-3266
Free Consultation

Felony Crimes Explained by a Portland Criminal Defense Attorney

While every criminal charge is serious, a felony is the most serious crime a person can be charged with. A felony has the potential for at least a year in jail, often significantly more. This classification is reserved for some of the most serious violent crimes as well as substantial damage or theft to property. A felony conviction also brings with it restrictions that could potentially last a lifetime. If you have been arrested and charged with a felony, you need to contact an experienced Portland Criminal Defense Attorney.

Portland Criminal Defense Attorney on Restrictions After a Felony Conviction


After you serve your sentence or probation, your felony conviction will bring it additional punishments. Some states restrict convicted felons from voting. Oregon is not one of those states, but if you were to ever move you may be subject to this restriction. Another restriction is that a convicted felon cannot own or handle a gun. Simply being in possession of a firearm can result in another felony charge.

A person will also need to disclose this felony on most job applications. While felons cannot be automatically disqualified from employment, it can be used when assessing a particular candidate. If two people are equal candidates and one has a felony conviction and the other does not, it stands to reason that the felon won’t get the job. A Portland Criminal Defense Attorney can help prevent these problems by keeping that conviction off your record.

If you face a felony arrest, contact a lawyer at Kroll & Johnson. Our attorneys will aggressively challenge the evidence against you and do everything possible to keep this conviction off your record. To learn more about how a Portland Criminal Defense Attorney can help after an arrest, contact Kroll & Johnson today for a free consultation.

Facing a felony charge? Contact a Portland Criminal Defense Attorney

Call Kroll & Johnson today at (971) 205-3266

Fill out the form below and a member of our staff will be in touch with you regarding your case.