(971) 205-3266
(971) 205-3266
(971) 205-3266
Free Consultation

Grand Juries Explained by an Oregon Defense Attorney

With the recent rulings in the Michael Brown and Eric Garner cases, many people are hearing about grand juries and may be confused about what these juries do. While the specific composition of a grand jury varies by state, in each case the grand jury is looking for probable cause that a crime was committed. In general, the prosecution presents their best evidence and almost always gets an indictment. If you have a grand jury assembling to hear charges against you, it is best to contact an Oregon Defense Attorney as soon as possible in order to begin mounting a defense.

Probable Cause Explained by an Oregon Defense Attorney

The probable cause in a grand jury is a very low bar, which is why it almost always results in an indictment. Additionally, the prosecution can choose which evidence they want to show and, generally, a defendant does not speak or present a defense at this level. This is why it was so unique to have a verdict of “no true bill” returned in both of these cases. This does not mean that the officers were found not guilty – instead, the grand jury decided that there was no probable cause that a crime was even committed.

These were very high profile cases, so they were handled differently than most other grand juries. If you potentially face charges, do not wait for an indictment. Instead, contact an Oregon Defense Attorney who can begin collecting evidence in your defense and learning the facts of your case.

If you have been arrested for a crime, a criminal defense lawyer can help. At Kroll & Johnson, we will aggressively fight to build reasonable doubt about your guilt and work diligently to achieve the best outcome possible for your particular charges. To speak with an Oregon Defense Attorney about your particular charges, contact Kroll & Johnson today for a free consultation.

Facing criminal charges? Contact an Oregon Defense Attorney

Call Kroll & Johnson today at (971) 205-3266

Fill out the form below and a member of our staff will be in touch with you regarding your case.