The state of Oregon takes driving while under the influence of intoxicants very seriously. Being caught driving while drunk or on drugs can lead to serious legal consequences, such as the loss of your driving privileges, fines, mandatory testing, the installation of an ignition interlock, and even jail time. As a result, it is important for anyone facing a DUII case to consult with an experienced Portland criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. There are many ways that a defense lawyer can help mitigate the consequences you may be facing, including challenging the reasons for the initial stop or the administration of any sobriety testing that may have occurred. A Portland drunk driving attorney can help you achieve the best outcome possible based on the individual circumstances of your case.
Fortunately for first time offenders, Oregon has put into place a DUII diversion program that allows people to avoid the long term consequences a DUII may have. People who successfully complete the program get the charges against them dismissed effectively keeping the DUII off of your criminal record. DUII diversion is not for everyone, and not everyone is eligible for the program. Some of the eligibility requirements include:
- Not having another drunk driving case pending against you in another state
- Not currently participating in another similar diversionary program
- No other DUII offenses within 15 years of the date of the alleged offense and also within the time in between the offense and the date you enter the program
- You have not participated in any similar diversionary program in the past 15 years, or within the time between the offense and the time in which you enter the program
- You were not a holder of a CDL at the time of the offense
These are just some of the eligibility requirements for DUII diversion in Oregon. In order to determine whether you are eligible, you should consult with a drunk driving attorney as soon as possible.
At Kroll and Johnson, we understand how difficult it can be to face a drunk driving arrest. We can explain your options and work to achieve the best results possible for your particular case. For a free consultation, contact Kroll & Johnson right away.