(971) 205-3266
(971) 205-3266
(971) 205-3266
Free Consultation

Record Expungement Explained by a Portland Defense Lawyer

After a person has served their time or completed their probation, they may want to get their record expunged of their conviction. This expungement essentially means that the conviction is off a person’s record, being sealed or erased. It means that if a company or employer runs a background check, this conviction will not show up on a public record’s search. A Portland Defense Lawyer can explain if expungement is possible for your conviction. If so, they will work to get this conviction set aside.

Portland Defense Lawyer on the Expungement Process

Having your record expunged is not a right. Just because a person has completed their sentence or probation does not automatically mean that they will be eligible to have their conviction set aside. Instead, it is up to the discretion of the prosecuting attorney in that particular district to make a recommendation. If they decide that expungement is appropriate, they will approve the motion before the court.

It is then up to a particular judge to review the entire file, including the prosecutor’s recommendation, to make a final decision. It is important to note that no traffic offenses, no Driving Under the Influence of Intoxicants that were dismissed due to diversion, and no convictions of Class A or B felonies, can be expunged or set aside. A Portland Defense Lawyer can review your particular charges to determine if you may be eligible for expungement. If so, they can assist in this process.

At Kroll & Johnson, our attorneys can help in getting your record expunged. If you think you may be eligible to have your conviction set aside, we can answer any questions you may have. To learn more about this process, contact a Portland Defense Lawyer right away.

Charged with a crime? Contact a Portland Defense Lawyer

Call Kroll & Johnson today for a free consultation

Fill out the form below and a member of our staff will be in touch with you regarding your case.