(971) 205-3266
(971) 205-3266
(971) 205-3266
Free Consultation

Sex Offender Registration Requirements

If you are considered a predatory sex offender, you must keep your registry up-to-date with the state of Oregon or risk additional charges.

All level 3 sex offenders, sexually violent dangerous offenders, most offenders designated as predatory as well as those found guilty of first degree sexual assaults including rape, sodomy, unlawful sexual penetration, kidnapping of a minor or burglary with intent to commit one of those crimes will have a lifetime registration unless their conviction gets reclassified.

Level 2 and Level 1 offenders can apply for relief from their obligation to register 10 years after their supervision end date if they meet very stringent criteria.

A sex offender is required to register within ten days of their birthday and pay a $70 registration fee. Failure to do so is a Class A misdemeanor. An Oregon resident who fails to report a change of residence, including moves out-of-state or attendance or employment at an institution of high education may face a Class C felony. Any non-resident who fails to report employment in Oregon may also face a Class C felony. Any sec offender required to register who fails to provide complete and accurate reporting information faces a Class A misdemeanor.

If you are a convicted sex offender moving into Oregon, you will need to comply with the state’s requirements or face charges.

Within 10 days of a change of residence, the person must complete an initial registration with the Department of State Police, a city police department or a county sheriff’s office in the county of residence.

Anyone attending school or working in Oregon, but residing outside of Oregon also will need to register. Within 10 days of the first day of school or 24 days of beginning a new job, the person must register with the Department of State Police, a city police department or a county sheriff’s office in the county where the job or school is located. This is the case even if the offender is considered a part-time employee or student.

If you have been convicted as a sex offender, it is imperative to keep your registry up-to-date. It is important to notify authorities of any changes. If you are a level 1 or 2 sex offender, have had 10 years pass since your conviction and would like to explore relief from the registration requirements, you will want to work with an experienced Portland criminal defense attorney. Call the offices of Kroll & Johnson today for a free, initial consultation.

Fill out the form below and a member of our staff will be in touch with you regarding your case.