(971) 205-3266
(971) 205-3266
(971) 205-3266
Free Consultation

What is the difference between a Felony and Misdemeanor?

Every criminal charge is serious, but the severity of some punishments is far greater than others. The criminal justice system splits violations into two categories – misdemeanors and felonies. If you have been arrested in Portland, a defense lawyer can examine your charges and explain the possible punishments. They can then explain what they can do to help you through this difficult time.

Misdemeanors are any crime that results in a year or less of punishment. This means that a Class A misdemeanor carries a punishment of up to one year in jail. These are typically served in the county jail instead of maximum security prisons. The judge also has a bit more discretion in sentencing a person convicted of a misdemeanor.

A felony is the most serious class of criminal charges. The punishments are generally for more than a year in jail (typically much longer than a year). A felony conviction will have ramifications on a person’s rights once they are out of jail as well. It may not be possible for them to own a gun, to vote, and it may be difficult to find a job. And in Oregon, Measure 11 crimes offer little to no leeway for the judge.

Felonies are extremely serious and require the help of a defense attorney experienced in their defense. They often involve mountains of evidence, witness statements, forensic evidence, and more. It is important that a lawyer be experienced with these cases in order to ensure that nothing is overlooked. With this assistance, it is possible to achieve the best outcome possible for your particular charges.

At Kroll & Johnson, we have helped clients across the Portland area with serious criminal charges. We will aggressively fight to defend your liberty and do everything possible to achieve successful results. If you have been charged with a crime, contact Kroll & Johnson today for a free consultation.

Fill out the form below and a member of our staff will be in touch with you regarding your case.